Lafayette School District
“Our students are creative thinkers and problem-solvers and are prepared to become responsible, ethical and productive citizens.”
Dear Lafayette Families, Staff, and Community Members,
Much has already been written during and about this election season, so I will only share that our District remains steadfast in its commitment to supporting all students, staff members, and families by always honoring inclusiveness, mutual respect, and diversity. I remain deeply grateful to each of you for your genuine support and continued involvement in the work of our District and our community.
As we begin the Thanksgiving/holiday season, there are a few important highlights I would like to share with you:
- Congratulations and a warm welcome to Mark Kindhouse and Meredith Meade who will be joining our Governing Board. They will be officially seated after they take the oath of office at our December 14th Board Meeting.
- We also extend our sincerest gratitude to Jean Follmer and Nancy Wallace for four years of dedicated service to our District and our community as Governing Board members.
- The first meeting of our Citizens’ Oversight Committee for our Measure C bond will take place on Tuesday, November 29th at 5:30 in the District Office Board Room. We are pleased to welcome Denali Allen, David Deutscher, Grace Dixon, Art Kapoor, Sherman Koo, Lori Lane, and Dan Walden to this committee.
- We have a number of excellent Parent Education events scheduled in the coming months. Please be sure to mark your calendars! Additional information about all of our events can also be found on our District website.
- Tuesday, November 29th is #GivingTuesday sponsored by LPIE. Dine at a number of restaurants in our community, and you will be supporting schools.
- The film ‘Screenagers’ will be shown on January 18th beginning at 5:00 in the Stanley Library. Screenagers explores parental struggles over social media, video games, academics, and internet addiction and offers solutions to help kids find balance.
- On February 22nd from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. in the Stanley Library, Lisa DeLapo, our Assistant Director of Technology and Merve Lapus, Director of Education for Common Sense Media, will be presenting very important information about ‘Parenting in the Digital Age.’ You won’t want to miss this very informative workshop presented by two experts in this field.
As we begin this Thanksgiving break, I wish you memorable times with family, peace, and much joy. I continue to feel so grateful to work with you and to be part of this incredible District and community.
Rachel Zinn, Superintendent