Dear Lafayette Families, Staff, and Community Members,
I am not sure how August arrived so quickly! I hope you are enjoying the last few days of a wonderful summer vacation.
As we move into the 2016-2017 school year, please note the following important information:
- Your August Summer Mailer packet should have arrived last week. Included in this mailer is important information from your child’s school principal, our District, Lafayette Partners in Education (LPIE), and your school’s Parent Organization.
- In your mailer, you will also find instructions to access the district-wide online registration portal, RegHub.org. It is important that you review and update all information for your child. The Aeries.net Portal provides you an efficient way to update this information. In addition, the RegHub site also offers a convenient way to support LPIE and our parent organizations.
- If you have an incoming Transitional Kindergarten (TK) or kindergarten student, you should have received information about the ‘Gentle Beginnings’ and Extended-Day TK/Kindergarten time schedules. Please contact the office at your school if you did not receive this information.
- The support we receive from LPIE is critical! An extremely important part of our District’s overall education funding is provided by Lafayette Partners in Education (LPIE). I strongly encourage you to support both LPIE and the Parent Organization at your school site. The on-going funding that is provided by LPIE and our Parent Organizations is integral to helping our District provide innovative and memorable learning experiences for your child at every grade level. Please be sure to read more about how your donations to LPIE and the Parent Organizations support our District in the Annual Giving Campaign brochure included in your Summer Mailer.
As we move into the new school year, I also wanted to share just a few highlights with you…
- Measure C Bond Update~ We are excited to move forward with much needed renovation and modernization at our schools this year! None of this would have been possible without your support of Measure C. We are extremely grateful to each of you for your on-going commitment to our schools. At the current time, our architectural firm, HKIT, is conducting an intensive analysis of facility needs in order that we may begin moving forward with renovation and modernization work at each site. Please note that we are also in the process of taking applications for a Citizens’ Oversight Committee to oversee the work taking place from the Bond Project List as well as all expenditures related to the bond. Applications for this committee are available on our District website at: www.lafsd.org and are due no later than September 9, 2016. Additional information about our bond and our Facilities Master Plan is also available on our website.
- Teachers College Reading and Writing Project (TCRWP) Training~ A total of thirty-four teachers and administrators attended the TCRWP Institute this summer in New York thanks to generous funding from LPIE. All participants shared that this was one of the most enriching trainings they have experienced. Plans are underway to share information from this institute with all teachers and parents.
- Thank you~ I would like to express my sincere appreciation to District staff for the incredible work they have been doing over the summer. Administrators have been preparing for the opening of the year; teachers and coaches have been immersed in collaborative planning with grade level teams; custodians, maintenance, and our grounds staff have been working tirelessly to insure that our facilities and grounds are spotless and ready for the new year; office managers and district office staff have been busy enrolling families, planning, and supporting sites; our technology staff has been diligently installing equipment to be sure it is ready for students and staff. There is a special energy and level of dedication and professionalism in our District that is truly second to none.
I continue to be inspired by your commitment and your support for all of the work that is taking place in our District. It is an honor to serve you as your Superintendent. Please know that your input is always valued and welcome. Feel free to contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Warm regards and best wishes for a wonderful year,